Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Misson Failed, and yet, I am accomplished.


I did practically nothing on that Spring Break list. I did a lot of other equally inspiring, relaxing and enjoyable things, though. I:
  • Bought a lot of clothes.
  • Checked my phone obsessively less often than I'd expected.
  • Earned a certificate and a sticker in a self-designed program.
  • Continued my tradition of making friends everywhere I go.
  • Made a list of music to explore.
  • Ate at Monty's with my sweet sweet baby.

I certainly did walk as much or more than I had set out to do, and I am feeling it in the shins! Can't wait for some of Ollie's pics from the weekend. She is the resident photog.

Also learned that the pics of me passing out during the musical interlude of Ollie's nuptials exist in J's files someplace. YAY! While the other photog, K, said she stopped shooting right away. I love them both for their choices. J was like, "I am NOT missing this. This must be documented." and K was like, "Oh, that's embarrassing, I wouldn't want my picture taken if I was passing out." Please remember to give the word out the Wisconsin oa sound, like how we normal persons say "oat."

Confession: I totally said, "you're about to make the biggest mistake of your life" to a girl on her bachelorette night by the Dane.

Confession: I smoked/shared a pack of cigs in 2 days.

Self-congratulatory moment: I totally paid for a book that I had slipped into my bag for the sake of consolidation whilst trying on clothing at urban.

Confession: I was not all there when I got back to work on Monday.

Here it is now on Tuesday, and I am ready to roll. We are going to hit the Walt Whitman hard this afternoon. One of my students wrote this totally transcendent piece yesterday, and it was such the teachable moment. Gotta get her into some American Lit now. Her parents are conservatice, would most likely prefer she read Blake, which has its merits, of course. and, it can be "out there" at times. hmm . .. . maybe I'll do that too on Thursday.

I am saving the Solar System for after Easter. This week we'll just do a little writing and talking about Earth and Sky in general.

I am still so grateful to be a mom, a teacher, and, as one fellow hosteller put it, "a funky mom." Got told I look 25 years old again, too! Is that some kind of a pickup line or what?

Off to peruse Leaves of Grass once again . . .

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you accomplished exactly what you set out to do...have fun, forget about your responsibilities and live your life to the fullest in a different wya than mothering makes possible. Good job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do look 25. If I saw you around here and didn't know you I'd think you were one of the college kids. Enjoy it. And don't smoke! It will ruin it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One would argue, and the other might too, that the point of setting tasks may not be to accomplish but merely to challenge and though we may not soar to those great heights as we first expected we yet somehow manage to never let the darkness outshine our spirit; and maybe that’s accomplishment enough.

    I didn't look 25 when I WAS 25...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year, A non ee mouse!

    ReplyDelete